For years while working in the healthcare field, I have been asked by other healthcare providers on a regular basis to help him/her lose weight or get into shape. Individuals in the healthcare field are no difference than the regular general public in weight issues.
For example, almost fifty-four percent of healthcare providers are overweight or obese. According to Brown, I., & Thompson J., (2011) fifty-three percent of nurses are overweight but lack the motivation to make lifestyle changes. Although ninety-three percent of nurses acknowledge that overweight and obesity are diagnoses requiring intervention, seventy-six percent do not pursue the topic with overweight and obese patients(Sally, K., & Patricia, T., 2010).
The success I obtained with clients whom are healthcare providers I slowly started to take a selective small amount of clients from the general population. Reasons why I have done this is for 3 reasons.
- I enjoy the time and effort helping others achieve a better healthy state.
- I believe that everyone should be granted services in healthcare or other means and not be dependent on what they can pay if the person is willing to make a change toward better health. In other words, I do not turn down anyone despite their income level if I have openings available.
- All of the funds from this project goes directly toward repayment of student loans and tuition for a Post-Masters Family Nurse Practitioner program I am enrolled in. This will allow me to further my education and provide even more services to my clients in the future.
Little about myself:
I am a nurse educator which is a term majority of individuals are not aware of or understand what nurse educators do. Nurse educators are registered nurses with advanced graduate level education and serve as faculty members in University/College nursing schools and teaching hospitals, sharing their knowledge and skills to prepare the next generation of nurses for effective practice.
Nurse educators develop lesson plans, teach courses, evaluate educational programs, oversee students’ clinical practice and serve as role models for their students. They may teach “general” courses or focus on areas of specialization. Most nurse educators have extensive clinical experience, and many continue caring for patients after becoming educators.
Nurse educators must stay current with new nursing methods and technologies. This means nurse educators are always on the “leading edge” of clinical practice. With experience, nurse educators managing nurse education programs, writing or reviewing textbooks, and developing continuing education programs for working nurses and clients.
- Height 6 ft 3 in
- Weight 225 Ib
- Veteran of the United States Marine Corps
- Veteran of the United States Navy
- Certified Personal Trainer by Athletics Certification & Training Commission
- 18 years of experiences
1. Benedictine University
Master of Science in Nursing
Benedictine University: 5700 College Road, Lisle, IL 60532 Tel: (630) 829-6000
2. University of Wyoming
Bachelor of Science in Nursing
University of Wyoming 1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071 Tel: (307) 766-1121
3. Laredo Community College
Associates of Applied Science in Nursing
Fort McIntosh Campus West End Washington Street Laredo, TX 78040 Tel: (956) 722-0521
4. Central Texas College
Associates of General Studies
P.O. Box 1800, Killeen, Texas, 76540-1800 Tel: (254) 526-7161
Additional Post Graduate Nursing Studies at:
- Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi, 6300 Ocean Dr., Corpus Christi, TX. 78412, Tel: (361) 825-5700
- Drexel University, 3141 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, Tel: (215) 895-2000
- MGH Institute of Health Professions, 36 First Avenue Boston, MA 02129-4557. Tel: (617) 726-2947
- Southern Connecticut State University, 501 Crescent Street New Haven, CT 06515 Tel: (203) 392-5200
- University of Wyoming, 1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071 Tel: (307) 766-1121
Additional Undergraduate Studies at:
- Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi, 6300 Ocean Dr., Corpus Christi, TX. 78412, Tel: (361)825-5700 Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi, 6300 Ocean Dr., Corpus Christi, TX. 78412, Tel: (361) 825-5700
- Del Mar College, 101 Baldwin Blvd. Corpus Christi, TX 78404-3897 Tel:(361) 698-1200
- Coastal Bend College, 3800 Charco Road Beeville, TX, 78102 Tel: 1-866-722-2838